The Fine Print – My Business is Growing! Now What?

“Dear Attorney,

I own a business that recently began to do really well.  As in I am now earning real money!  I have never incorporated with the State of North Carolina, am worried about sales taxes, and am concerned since I have never even mentioned my business income on my tax returns.  I think I need to start doing some of these things, but every time I look into what I need to do, I get overwhelmed.  I like working, not worrying about how I might be messing up legally. I know I should see a lawyer, but I do not even know what to ask, or where to start, when I do see one.” – Finally Making Money, Now What? in Matthews


Dear Finally Making Money, Now What?

First of all, congratulations! Your hard work is paying off and now you are making money.  And, now that you are making money, you get to spend some money becoming a more organized and sophisticated business entity. There are a few items you do need to address promptly with a lawyer. The following apply whether you are a new business or a growing business;

1.     Depending on what your line of business is (manufacturing, retail, food, other services) will dictate on what type of business entity is the best fit for you.  The one that typically fits a small business best is a limited liability company.  North Carolina’s Limited Liability Company Act enables owners to both limit their personal liability for actions of the business as well as claim special tax treatment, and it is easy to manage for a small company owner.  However, depending on what you do, how you do it, business partners, and multiple other factors, another structure may be the best fit.

2.     Along with number one above, it is important to discuss whether you need a license or permit to engage in your line of business.  The State of North Carolina does not issue a single business license, but your business may be required to have an occupational license. An occupational license allows a person “to work in a particular occupation after having met a minimum level of competency intended to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the public.”  This is different than “certification.” A “certification” is the official endorsement of a person’s qualifications by a regulator agency or professional organization such as a doctor or lawyer.

3.     Get a referral to a qualified certified public accountant (CPA) from the lawyer.  Make sure the CPA has experience in corporate taxes.  When meeting with the CPA, I recommend you take your last several years’ worth of personal tax returns, information related to the income and expenses from your business as well as your notes from the meeting with your attorney.  You will probably need to amend your taxes since you stated above that you did not declare the income in prior years on your personal taxes or file a corporate tax return.  If an amendment is necessary, the CPA will prepare the appropriate tax documents detailing the business revenues and expenses so as to arrive at the “net income” or “net loss” from the business.  As agonizing as this process is, I can say it is far less agony than an IRS audit.

4.     Finally, you mentioned sales taxes.  This needs to be addressed with your lawyer to see if the business is required to have been paying them.  If you do owe sales taxes, both the CPA and the attorney will work with you in order determine how much you need to pay and help you negotiate with the NC Department of Revenue, if necessary.  If tangling with the IRS is not advisable, it is definitely not advisable to tangle with the NC Department of Revenue.

As overwhelming as this is, it is not impossible.  The first step is making the appointment.  After that, your lawyer will walk you through step by step and work in tandem with the CPA.  Also, do not be afraid to ask questions. They are not dumb. They are why you are seeking legal advice in the first place!

Laura H. Budd, Esq. is a managing partner experienced in corporate law and civil litigation at Weaver | Budd, Attorneys at Law.  To schedule a consultation with her, please call (704) 841-0760. To schedule a consultation with her, please call (704) 841-0760. The information contained in this article is general in nature and not to be taken as legal advice, nor to establish an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Laura H. Budd or Weaver | Budd, Attorneys at Law.

Submit your questions for The Fine Print to: